Tuesday, June 3, 2014

New Privateer and a driver bio

Just announced today, Robert Haks will join the series in his #928 Venom STR starting in round 2. "Unfortunately we couldn't get the car quite ready for this race weekend, but we'll be there in Dropez for the next round." Haks brought in a lot of money from a previous racing venture, but has been unable to woo a sponsor for the series.

For today's driver bio/interview, we were able to bring in Karl Weiss for a brief chat with NAGRCA TV host, puttz.

puttz: So, Karl, when the call came in from Razgriz Racing, how did you feel?

Karl Weiss: I was excited to be able to race in this series with the organization. I had a chance to drive a preliminary version of this series in the test season, and I felt pretty good in the cars. I think I actually feel more comfortable in the Speedtec cars run by Razgriz than I did in the Venom STRs in the test season. I think Razgriz is a solid organization and can help propel me to the championship.

p: What do you think of the new race format this year?

KW: I think it'll be more much more intense. As you know, there were only eight cars in the test season, so not a huge amount of pressure to perform. With twenty four cars that make it into the race, the competition will be a lot tighter. Then throw in the last chance dash and the B-main, and I think we have a recipe for success with the fans. Of course, it makes my job a lot harder, but I feel like with this solid team I will be able to come through.

p: Before NAGRCA GT, what kind of racing did you do?

KW: I used to race touring cars back in Germany. I got a lot of experience driving on tracks around Germany and Austria. I was set to drive a DTM car, but that deal kind of fell through when the sponsorship didn't sign with the team, so that was disappointing. I kept driving various touring car circuits, then I got the call from NAGRCA wanting me to test out some GT cars for a new series. I jumped at the opportunity, did some testing, and got hired to drive for a team during the test season. Now I'm all set to go.

p: What do you think of your new teammate, Jake Sanson?

KW: He should be fun to work with this year. I haven't seen him race yet, but from the testing sessions we've had so far, I think we have a winning combination. He's focused and wants to learn more, and I'm happy to give him all the help he needs. I hope that my experience in racing will teach him a thing or two throughout the year. He's also not afraid to be aggressive, just so long as he doesn't take me out, I'm good with that *laughs*.

p: One last question for you Karl. Which team do you feel is the biggest threat to Razgriz Racing this season?

KW: Well, I kind of hate to say before the season starts, don't want to put a target on our backs early. There are a couple of teams I think need to be watched out for, but I won't name them right now.

p: Okay, fair enough. Thanks for your time Karl, good luck on the track this weekend.

KW: Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment